April 02, 2011

The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember - Daniel Walls


The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember
By Daniel Walls
January 2011
Itasca Books Distribution
Source: Library Thing

A chilling, heart-wrenching tale of colliding worlds and forbidden love, The Vyne reinvents steampunk-fantasy for a whole new generation.




It took me several days to get into the book. It starts out slow and took more work than enjoyment in the beginning. Between the introduction of numerous characters and vast information, being shuffled throughout various scenes, my head was spinning through the first hundred pages. Once the story, FINALLY, began to unfold and I had grasped hold of it, I found myself enjoying the book.

Ash, who has been an outsider his whole life, wants nothing more than to escape from the town in which he lives, and his abusive, alcoholic father. When he stumbles upon the mysterious, fugitive Scar, everything changes for him through a series of life altering events. Ash, is thrust on a journey of self-discovery and a prophesized-destiny he could have never imagined. Much less wants.

The Vyne: Mystery of the Hidden Ember, is complex and can be overwhelming at times. The world Daniel Walls, has created is beautifully detailed, as well as the characters that are introduced along the way. At times I was reminded of the world created by George Lucas, in Star Wars. (Wick, had me thinking of a softer version of Yoda.) The twists and turns we are taken on through a series of well developed plots is amazing. There is never a dull moment and the story is definitely not lacking in action. However. While, I enjoyed the imaginative world DW has created, I couldn’t honestly attach myself to some of the characters. Truthfully, I couldn’t understand the strong bond between Ash and Scar. It was the one thing DW was lacking in detail and development. I loved the Count, I think the most. Count LePrey is a villainous madman that grabs your attention, and is surely one character that won’t be forgotten. Secondly, I like Lazlo. A pirate, excuse me, I mean privateer, that is comical at times, but hidden beneath, is a strong belief in doing what is right. Hopefully, I haven’t been misled.

With steam-punk elements, promise of adventure, unforgettable villains, swash-buckling pirates, and a cast of odd characters, all ingrained into a fantasy realm like no other, I truly enjoyed the book. Where DW was lacking in some parts, he made up for it, in others. Ash’s journey has intrigued me, and I am dying to know what will happen next.

3 STARS

No comments:

Post a Comment